Sunday, March 1, 2009

Clothing from Japan

Having returned from a trip to Japan a few weeks ago, my outlook on everything has been a bit “Japan-centric.” Going through the exhibit hall at NABHS has been no exception. I was immediately drawn to the CCP booth, but certainly, I was not the only one. Their unique line of clothing is practical, stylish, fun, and attracting a lot of attention from the crowd.

I spoke to Aaron Terruli, the company’s translator and sales rep. (He is originally from New York, but has lived in Japan for the past 14 years). CCP (Cycling Clothing Products) is located in Toyko. I met two of their designers – Masayoshi Sato, and Tsutomu Kijima.

Mr. Kijima has been making clothes for 35 years. His goal is to make everyday clothing for riders that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. One of the main observations I made about cyclists while in Japan is that they are very practical. I saw business women riding to work in their dresses and high heels; grandmothers riding through the city holding an umbrella with two grandchildren on the bike.

CCP’s line of clothes is a refreshing break from the spandex culture I am used to in New Jersey. I bought my self a nice micro-fleece winter shirt with a hood and collar that can cover your mouth and nose. (The guys are referring to it as a ninja suit; I think of it more as a riding burkha). All of CCPs clothes are made in limited editions of 200 per style. They constantly refine their designs. They do most of their sales on line and everything sells out fast.

CCP’s booth also has a few bicycles on display that are made by Hioki Kitajima, of Punch Cycles, a friend and associate of CCP. He made the bikes on spec for CCP for NAHBS. The goal was to come up with a mixed retro/modern look to reflect the lifestyles of the riders in the Company. A really cool accessory hung over one of the bikes was the handmade messenger bag made out of flattened tubulars. Everyone was gawking at that, but unfortunately it is not for sale.

One of the sales reps that I talked to, Junichi Chiba, is a former Keirin racer. I was in awe when I went to watch the races in Kyoto last month. He no longer does Keirin because it is a difficult lifestyle, but now does 50k road races which are gaining in popularity. They are called “mix-up.” These races involve individual riders, no teams, and have anywhere from 100 to 150 people participating.

The Japanese influence at NAHBS seems to be growing each year. It’s a welcome addition.

A personal view by Rita Romeu

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review Rita. Safe trip back †o NJ.
Mike Schmidt

Anonymous said...

Nice review Rita. Keep it up! Can't wait to see the new CCP bike wear.

Tim Hyde said...

Hi - I can't seem to find the CCP website. Can you tell us the URL? thank you.

Anonymous said...

Tim I searched many stores for CCP Bike Wear and then i find one great store for bike wear i.e. Probikekit Promotion Code. You find great discounts here for bike clothing.